Exposing false teachers and ideas that run counter to what the Bible says, James address’s this issue in an open letter. Many people including myself have not heard of it until recently. I encourage you to read the letter for youself and decide, Is it even biblical?
As we have seen this year in 2009, history was made. While many people praised this event as something to be remembered, enjoyed, and talked about for generations to come, James address’s something that is on the minds of many Americans. How and why would Rick Warren bless this event? I encourage you to read the article and decide for yourself. Was it the right thing to do?
I will start by saying that most churches today are under attack from some sort of “movement” other than following God’s word and most are unaware of it, either because there is still Godly leadership holding it at bay, or they are in various stages of the change which is a slow methodical process. Matt 16:6 states; “Be careful”, Jesus said to them. “Be on your guard against the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees”. W. A. Criswell in a book of collective works of his sermons, wrote a sermon entitled “What shall I do with Jesus”? In it he gives an experience about an individual in a church he pastored. He stated: ” In the little country church where I once pastored, there was a man who was a chain smoker. He developed a little sore on his lower lip from which a cigarette always dangled. The sore did not go away, so he went to the county seat and asked the physician about it.
The physician looked at it and said: “you have a cancer on your mouth that is very serious. Go to the city, to the hospital, to a specific surgeon. You must have the sore removed because it is dangerous”. The man returned home, and his neighbors learned of the cancer on his lip. One of his dear friends came to him and said; “It is expensive to go to the city, to that hospital, and to that surgeon. I have a little vial of medicine at home. I will bring it to you. You put the medicine on the sore, and it will heal the sore forever”! He took the medicine and placed it on the sore. The days and weeks passed, and the man went back to the physician. By that time the sore had worsened. The physician looked at him and said, “sir, are you not the man to whom I said, “you have a cancer, go to the hospital”? The man said “yes”. The physician said, “why did you not go”? The man replied, “doctor, a neighbor said that if I would use this little vial of medicine, it would heal the cancer and save me the time and expense”. The day came when that cancer ate away the entire lower part of his face and neck, and his tongue lay on his chest. This is exactly what Satan does to us when the Holy Spirit points to the Son of God. We are afflicted people. We are dying people. We are sinful people. Sin is not only a wrestling in this life, but it has to do with the judgment that is to come”.
We spend our time listening to the advice of others in the guise of “spiritual leaders” rather than coming to Christ Himself for the answers, on our knees and in His word. Like this example that Criswell makes, when we look to any source other than God, other than the Healer, we are led astray through sin, and by the wiles of Satan. God’s word is and always will be the consummate answer to all our problems if we will just take the time to read it on a regular basis, and hide the words in our hearts.
John 14:15-18 states “If you love me, you will obey what I command. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever- the Spirit of Truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.” If you read God’s word and hide it in your heart no one can sway you from the truth. The church was not meant to be a forum for the opinions of man through spiritual books, but a place for the equipping of the saints through the word of Christ and Christ alone!
The issue of how the personality profiling takes shape can really be seen as a result of how Rick Warren uses the S.H.A.P.E program (Spiritual Gifts, Heart, Abilities, Personality, and Experiences). Here is a powerpoint slide show which shows a comparison between that of Carl Jung’s Personality Theory to Rick Warren’s Personality Profiling.
How to take the S.H.A.P.E.
"Just imagine if you knew the serving sweet spot of every member! As an added bonus, a free code is available in the back of Erik’s new book, S.H.A.P.E.: Finding and Fulfilling Your Unique Purpose. Take a sample of the test today by logging onto www.yourservingsweetspot.com and enter bookcode pdc19285."
( www.purposedriven.com Advertisement for Erik Rees’ new book S.H.A.P.E.: Finding and Fulfilling Your Unique Purpose)
Before you take this test, consider the following questions:
1. Who is scoring this test? What company? What agency? What entity? How are the scores being scored and databanked?
2. Who truly constructed this test? Under what auspices, contract, agency, etc.? For what general and specific purposes?
3. Who owns these scores? What will be done with these results? Are these results being sold? If so, to whom and for what purpose?
4. Are there contractors and/or subcontractors who have access to these scores? If so, whom?
5. To what other commercial, governmental or ecclesiastical entities are these scores provided and for what purpose?
6. Is there a personal identifier that marks this test as your score? If so, how will you be monitored? What kind of follow-up will you experience? Do you mind many people seeing your personal scores?
7. How has this test been normed? Were the various versions of this test the past several years being used as part of a research project to construct this test? Is there statistical Reliability? Validity?
8. Are these test results being used for research purposes? If so, for what purpose? For what agency or entity? What is the long-term goal of such research? Is it to "shape" evangelical culture?
9. Does the test actually measure (assess) what it purports to measure? That is, "your personal blend of Spiritual Gifts, Heart, Abilities, Personality, and Experiences."
10. Are things of the Holy Spirit measurable by human psychological and sociological methods, which are imprecise and variable?
11. Is this test free of cultural, theological, ethnic, age, handicap and gender bias? Or, does it discriminate against those who are of a different culture, race, gender, handicap, life situation, age, economic class, or who hold more traditional beliefs?
12. Does this test contribute to the promulgation or perpetuation of an American upper middle class white evangelical Christian culture?
13. What are the test’s true underlying assumptions about 1) the nature of man and 2) the nature of God? Can a tool devised according to humanistic psychology, which has its own underlying assumptions which run counter to biblical Christianity, truly be an effective measurement of gifts of the Holy Spirit?
14. Does this test penalize creative and unique Christian individuals who may not fall within its pre-set categories and criteria?
15. Does this test stereotype certain attributes, traits, abilities, aptitudes and talents? If so, how and for what purpose?
16. Does this test represent an attempt to create national and/or international standards and norms for Christian personality? For Christian service?
17. Are there embedded "threshold" questions in this test?
18. Is this test a vocational interest inventory type personality assessment? Does it measure and identify occupational groups whose interests and attitudes the individual shares most closely, thus becoming a way to classify personalities?
19. Is this test a spiritualized placement test to classify people into their "sweet spots" — i.e., "zones," "regions" or "precincts" (Max Lucado’s words)?
20. Does taking this test help to promote the dominionist "advancing the kingdom of God on earth" theology? Can you support that agenda? The promotional literature states that it will:
Unlock your God-given potential
Uncover your specific kingdom purpose
Unfold a kingdom plan for your life
And it also states that: "…Rees shows you how to uncover God’s most powerful and effective means of advancing his kingdom on earth…"
21. Does the test promise more than it can deliver? The same promotional literature claims that you will "discover the path to a life of unimagined purpose, impact, and fulfillment" and that you will gain" confidence, freedom, clarity, and significance that can only come from your Creator."
22. If you don’t gain what this test promised, and still feel unfulfilled, will you be tempted to visit the http://shaperesources.com/shape.htm webpage and read from these troubling resources?
23. What if your life purpose is not defined, measured, prescribed, or covered by the content of this test? What if you don’t fit into the "box" or "zone"? Does that mean God isn’t using you or that you aren’t doing Christian service? Will you be "remediated" until you conform?
24. Can you do Christian service in your church, family or community without taking this psychological placement test? If not, why? Is this test a "passport" to Christian service?
25. Have you read Chapter 11 about the S.H.A.P.E. — "Personality Profiling" — in James Sundquist’s Who’s Driving the Purpose Driven Church? If not, there are hundreds more unanswered questions in those pages.
"My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him. He only is my rock and my salvation: He is my defence; I shall not be moved. In God is my salvation and my glory; the Rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God. Trust in Him at all times; you people, pour our your heart before Him: God is a refuge for us. Surely men of low degree are vanity, and men of high degree are a lie: to be laid in the balance, they are altogether lighter than vanity." (Psalm 62:5-9)
This documentary contains urgent updates since my book Who’s Driving the Purpose Driven Church? Both books are published by Southwest Radio Church (Bible Belt Publishers).
I would like to thank The Conservative Theological Journal for publishing two articles I wrote on Rick Warren’s teachings in their August and December 2005 issues and their very favorable review of my book on Rick Warren’s teachings.
There are a number of pastors, ministries and authors throughout the world who are opposing Rick Warren, including Dr. John MacArthur, who exposed Warren in a chapter in his book called
Fool’s Gold by Dr. John McArthur
As well as Chuck Smith, Director of Calvary Chapels and most recently Chuck Smith, Sr., Founder of Calvary Chapels. Dave Hunt, Jacob Prasch, Director of Moriel Ministries (UK), Richard Bennett, PerryRockwood (Canada’s oldest Christiannational radio ministry), Roger Oakland, David Cloud, Dusty Peterson (UK wrote documentary exposing the Alpha Course), Cecil Andrews (TakeHeed Ministries in Ireland), Moses Yang, Pastor of Chinese Evangelical Seminary and churches throughout the world, Gary Kah, Despatch Magazine in Australia, Prophezine Magazine, Loren Davis (well known Evangelist in Africa), Richard Bennett (Berean Beacon and former Roman Catholic priest), Dr. Robert Klenck, Dean Gotcher, Berit Kjos (Kjos Ministries), Dr. Noah Hutchings, author of Dark Side of the Purpose Driven Church & Dr. Larry Spargimino of Southwest Radio Church (America’s longest running Christian radio national program), and a host of others listed in my book and online, have all come out against Purpose Driven nightmare.
James Sundquist goes on to write: “I have been on about a thousand radio stations, Southwest Radio, American Family Radio, VCY America, Dr. Kent Hovind’s radio show exposing this fraud and related issues in the last few years, and was just on national broadcasts, including Dr. Stan Monteith, TheEdge, and the Berean Chronicles shows and will be bring out these revelations on Southwest Radio Church and other national publications and radio programs in the next few weeks as soon is this book on Warren’s Global Peace Plan is in print.”
“I invite you to help expose the fraud in Rick Warren’s Purpose Driven Life book. My hope is that pastors would be as zealous and consistent in exposing Warren’s PDL as they now are in exposing the fraud of the Da Vinci Code.”
Kindest regards in Christ,
Rock Salt Publishing (An Eagle Masterworks Productions Company) www.perfectpeaceplan.com